Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ideal feminine beauty--does this artist nail it?

Is it just me, or does the painter William Adolphe Bouguereau capture the feminine physical beauty ideal perfectly (as opposed to our modern American, rail-thin runway model ideal)? Obviously it's not the actually ';idea;'; as there is so much matter of opinion and taste involved, I'm just curious to see how many agree with me.





In my opinion, from skin complexion and tone to proportion and curves, he just hits it so well on the build for which a women should strive. The only variation I like is a slightly larger bust than he portrays (I know, typical shallow guy).





If you don't know the look of which I speak, just image search the artist's name and any one of his better known paintings like his version of ';The Birth of Venus,'; or ';Nymphes et Satyre,'; or ';Biblis,'; or ';Lost Pleiad,'; and my favorite, Femme Au Couquillage.'; You'll see what I mean. Physical beauty isn't everything, and certainly not the most important, but man I think this painter hits it. (And yes, I appreciate his great art for other things too, lol).


1 week ago





Also out of curiosity, how many women on this site would say their physical image is comparable to what this artist portrays (and if so, are you proud of, or upset by, that fact, and why--societal/peer influence, your own opinion, etc)?Ideal feminine beauty--does this artist nail it?
I think he portrays feminine beauty at its best. A woman, in my opinion, should have soft curves that make you want to touch her. As a woman I love seeing his work as it helps me see that my body shape is not only acceptable, but can be beautiful.





My body closely resembles the woman in the painting, 'Evening Mood' but with much larger breasts. As a young girl I was ashamed of my body because I matured rather early and was not so skinny as the rest of the girls and was teased for it. It took me a long time to get over that and I guess I think his work helped me realize just because I wasn't skinny and blonde didn't mean I wasn't attractive. Now I am very proud of my body. His worked helped me reach that realization I think. He didn't paint tan, skinny blonde girls.. He painted fair skinned, curvier, dark haired girls like me. So I guess I'm partial to his work.. :)Ideal feminine beauty--does this artist nail it?
I think it does portray femininity because i think woman should have curves and not be stick thin.
errmm im sorry what is the question? could you clarify?
Musee d'Orsay, Paris??? is it the one in this museum, i think i saw it person, i;ve seen two births of venus in my life, one in paris and the other in the pardo of madrid, but at this moment i'm not sure which one is bouguereau's lol sorry.... anyway both painting portrayed venus with a similar body type.





i'm a bit biased when it comes to the skin complexion since i'm myself very white but for the rest i'm a petite women, so i don't fall into the artist idea of the ideal women nor the runway model version since i'm also rather short with a bubble butt :)





but i give you a point that it's a beautiful painting and women with that sort of body have nothing to complain about, but sadly now a days venus would be considered plus sized :*(
I think ';The Birth of Venus'; is MUCH more pleasing to the eye than something like Paris Hilton. Curvy and pale is much better looking, in my opinion, than sickly skinny(like 'eating disorder' skinny) and fake tanned with badly dyed blonde hair and gigantic fake breasts.





I don't think women should strive to be like any type of picture or painting, some women are just naturally larger or naturally smaller than others, so it can really hurt a woman's self esteem to be told by society that she should strive to be ';curvier'; OR strive to be ';thinner';. I've been made fun of my whole life for NOT having enough curves, NOT having big enough breasts/hips and NOT looking like the women in those paintings.








My physcical image isn't at all like the women in any of the artists paintings. I'm very skinny(naturally) and I don't have very many curves, so I guess it kind of annoys me/hurts my self-esteem a little when people say that women who don't look like the women in the paintings you listed(skinny, tall, resembles a runway model, ect) aren't feminine because they don't have enough curves/large enough busts/hips.





I think it would be much better if the fashion industry portrayed all types of women..curvy, skinny, tall, short, ect, ect.
I didn't know which artist you were talking about..so I googled his name. I saw his paintings and they are beautiful! I love this one http://www.tinyways.com/media/img/bougue鈥?/a>





He captures the innocence of the female, which isn't around that much anymore. I have similar features to the girl in the painting. I am fair skined, petite and innocent!





I hope I understood what you meant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment